Saturday, January 3, 2015

Adventures In Cable Cutting: Getting Real Time Live TV For The NFL & Network Television Using Roku & Chromecast

One of the largest challenges since I have dropped my cable is the ability to watch NFL games and real time news or tv shows that run on network television or are not available on HULU or Netflix. I will preface this post that I keep a HULU  account at 7.99 a month and a Netflix streaming only account at 7.99 as well. I consider this affordable for what the cost to simply rent a cable box or pay taxes on the cable or Directv costs on a monthly basis. I also use a Roku streaming player and a Chromecast.


For my live tv I use a Roku Channel called USTVNow. This is a great free channel which streams local television from a channels in Pennsylvania. Even though it does not give me my local news it gives me a chance to watch the weekly telecasts of the NFL  games and whatever maybe on the networks nationally. You can upgrade for more channels but that really kind of defeats the purpose of saving the money from cable. The quality is decent and starts with HD for the forst 45 days.


For local news I use Fox 25 Boston Roku app which has a consistent stream of video on their app and also has the weather and major news events. CNBC and CNN also have high quality apps for national news. Channel 7 in Boston also has a stream on one of the NowhereTV apps available from Roku but it only streams during live broadcasts.


My Chromecast has been very useful at streaming NFL games from my laptop to my television. The link I have been using comes from a USlivestream webpage. Just be sure to search using the 2 teams you want to watch. This site has been relatively consistent.


A helpful tip is to let the Flash ads expire before attempting to go full screen. Overall the quality is not great but doable especially as you get used to going cable free.

Roku offers a variety of public and private channels which stream live content but none will truly replicate your cable or satellite service. There are compromises but as a whole it is great not to get that bill!

No comments:

Post a Comment